Sunday 17 April 2011

Treasure Island

Written By Robert Louis Stevenson.
Children's Classics Everyman's Library Edition
This book was also read by me months ago. And in my conversations about it, it seems like there is a lot of subtext to discuss, of which I guess I find little inclination to try to bridge. However I will do some justice in the name of the wonderful book and do as I am able.

The boy and Long John Silver In Disney's Version Of Treasure Island
The story is one said through the view point/sight/thought processing of a young boy. This is meaningful. As my Husband/Friend/Beloved pointed out to me. All things can be put into question regarding this boys opinion of them. As the context or situation may be warped with lack of understanding or with fading and potential aggrandizing of aged memory.

This being said, it makes me wonder how this is important to me as a reader of this story? I guess it is important in the ways that the boy sees the main characters in the this story in a perspective that affects the way the characters are then displayed to us. If the character is heroic to the boy, he in that moment is heroic to us, if the character is suddenly dangerous the same can be true. However the more interesting thing of this view point being from a boy, is that I find there is also an overlaying narration taking place outside of the boys. This is not accurate as the boy is telling the story, but when for example we are shown the Captain Long John Silver, in a way that is impressive to the boy, with his agility, ability to politicize and lead. I think it is obvious also the ways in which Long John is a frightening man, and a man that one would be drawn to believe in while also knowing he cannot be trusted at all. What I am trying to explain is that although the story is shown through one narrator and therefore the devolution of the other characters is one sided, I felt that I could still see more of the characters during the story and imagine the possibility of their humanity in alignment and in contrast to the boys opinion.

As I have mentioned above I have been told many interesting opinions and ideas about the subtext of this book that were quite moving. However they are not my own and thus I will not bridge them here. However I recommend upon reading this book to be open to the possibility of the the narrators influence upon your reading as well as the subtext of the island and its potential meaning. If you are interested in this kind of reading.

When I read this book what struck me was the characters, the way in which they spoke, and the way in which their voices were written. When reading aloud I could hear their speech, garbled and neat. For lack of better words, it was Pir-at-ey sounding. It made me as a reader imagine this sea dwelling world, where the magic of treasure hunting and being sea mates became dashed with the realization that these characters were not all "yo ho ho and smile and hug you." They were disfigured, ugly, bold, strong, aggressive, drunk, selfish, treacherous, living by a code of conduct that they would easily put aside to match with the moments wanting. Always a moments wanting.

The pirate at the beginning of the book, to whom the boy referred to as the Captain (not long john silver he comes in later) speaks to this momentous wanting. He is supposedly, or one can imagine a pirate retired of sorts. Or more likely a pirate hiding out in his old age. He is a drinker, an intimidating man, and a hoarder of treasures stolen. He has killed, and has stolen and is not now gloriously living out his dream with his riches and loved ones, or sharing treasures among the needy, or just eating and drinking and living finely. He is doing nothing but hiding and hoarding. I picture a person with arms stretched to grasp and hold all that is temporally important to them, with eyes blazing out to anyone who dares approach their pile. This idea is clear in the book. The pirate ultimately is hunted down for his treasure, not for his deeds, or friendship, or for revenge even really, its to take back what another pirate wants as their own.

This goes for the island as well, the Treasure Island. It is the Island with no name but named for Treasure. There are dead bodies there old and newly acquired. Men have left their homes and roles in life to pursue this greed and imagined fame and fortune. This way of living of altering ones lives and beliefs for the pursuit of treasure, is interesting. And the characters that go along with this pursuit. Their conflicting attitudes, such as those of the Gregarious and Uninhibited Financier of the project, or the solemn and directed approach of the Illusionary Captain of the vessel, or the Self Aggrandizing and Brave attitude of the boy. Are all fun to read about and bring a different perspective to the story and how to handle the challenges that approach.

Basically honestly I feel this book has been too long ago read, and too big for me to broach in this kind of a forum. My main point is that it was an adventurous read, the pictures were frightening and very well done, especially for the imagination of a child I would think, and Long John Silvers character would make anyone tremble with fear and admiration.

One thing my Husband and I often talk about is the idea of being either Sneakily Evil/Wrong Doer, or being Obviously Evil/Wrong Doer. Long John Silver to me is Sneakily Evil which can make him worse, as he is charming and persuasive and you want to like him and give him the benefit of the doubt. However that being said, and that is my usual take on that point, there is something about Long John Silver that makes you really sad for him. Sad for his life, his wanting, his feeling like he needs to be on all the time, and in the end and likely throughout his failure at even that.


I hope I have done some good for the story, and am not surprised if I have said little to show its greatness, but I invite you to read and explore this for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment