Tuesday 19 April 2011

The Great Book Of Amber} Book One} Nine Princes In Amber

This fantasy book written by Roger Zelazny, is a part of the Christmas gift I received from my Husband/Friend/Beloved as a piece of the list of the Best Fantasy Books per annum This one was the first novel on my list. And it did not disappoint!



This book was such a brilliantly written fantasy novel that I recommend it to anyone who enjoys: vivid descriptions of unbelievable things, a darkness to the light of the fantasy world, a living sort of conversational style in that one can hear and be present with the characters and share in the emotion given, be it humour, anxiety based or anything else that can be portrayed via conversation, also action that shows both the high paced scenes and the desperation of a person who is involved in these high action scenes. The book brings such life and subtlety to such wonder and dream.

It took all my strength while reading this book to not continue onto the next book which is housed within the same cardboard neighbourhood and is a direct neighbour to this one. But staying committed to my list, I left it for now. This does one thing however,  reading it later will be all the more enticing. 

This book started in an unexpected way. In a hospital bed. With a man waking from one can assume safely a coma. I found my mind racing to all related contexts in book and film, and I kept thinking: "This is going to be a zombie thing. This is going to be a zombie thing."

Walking Dead Season 1 2011

The zombies, to my non-disappointment, did not show however. My other impression was that this beginning was also very similar to that scene of Kill Bill where Uma Thurman is willing her toes and body to move after awakening from a Coma.


Kill Bill 3 Uma Thurman

This always interested me this idea of will. Perhaps because I like to claim that I have such strong will and so the idea of willing oneself to move seemed like a challenge I wanted to accomplish, without of course the coma or hospital, and of course without the zombies. However this being said my will under truthful inspection, is that of a dog, specifically the dog from the children's movie Up. Concentrating very hard on one thing, intensely, focused, potentially scarily or funnily so, and then.........
squirrel!

So my whole will theory is not accurate for myself, I probably could in that situation will my eyes to close. But even now in saying that my little guy that lives in my head to shout out prideful vane things, is saying "You could totally move your toe too."

Back to the story.

The story begins through the narration of our coma patient. The things he does as simple as squeezing his eyes three times to try to make the room clearer. Taking note of his body's condition, reassuring himself about his own legs. Sharing the fragments of memories that were returning, while still giving us glimpses of his situation. Which as he slowly recalls information and ideas, start to paint a serious and negative picture of where he is and what may happen to him if he remains. The doubts and self scoldings of being too cynical, as well as the prompt planning to escape, are so finely done. You feel and imagine what you would do and feel, and you are with him thinking this out.


Roger Zelazny
 The entire first book that I have read, Nine Princes In Amber retains this quality of writing. It is for lack of any word to describe> real. The conversations and thoughts of our main character are filled with the subtleties that a person would potentially share (I say potentially not for lacking in writing, but because some people are not so subtle).  I marvel at this writer, and I know I have heard of the "City Of Amber" prior to this read, however without great context and knowledge. I am hopeful for this writer that he is loved and welcomed as many other brilliant story writers are and hopefully will be.

I hesitate of saying too much detail of the story, as I feel that it may very well take away from someone reading it themselves. Perhaps I will leave this as the introduction to the book and post a more thorough telling of the story and characters at a later post date, so as to not disclose too much information in one sitting.

The story as an introduction of sorts tells of a mans journey through darkness. He awakens he does not know himself, he has innate abilities and insights in areas he knows little about presently. He renews relationships in a present and new life that in his forgotten life were broken and damaged. He sees things in his new eyes that were not seen in his old. He has been given a second chance of sorts. This second chance leads him to taking many risks and political chances that put him in a very strange and wonderful world and in great danger. This story shows how a person can transform and change, and risk things, and do better the next time around in some ways and in others potentially worse.

This story is loved by me very much. That sounds however it sounds, but there it is.
It shows how one can be courageous, can be intelligent in conversation with those you do not trust, how to risk things for the love of others, how to do what you were made to do.

I will expand and clean up some of these things I am saying in my next post and make it more descriptive and likely more thoughtful/academic/better??






But for now I hope to leave you with some curiosity and the very high recommendation that this book will be a value to any Literature hopeful as myself. There are movements and subtleties and intelligent writing to enjoy.

Enjoy your reading!
J.



No comments:

Post a Comment